Our Town

Skipton is a small town in the Western District of Victoria, Australia. The town is situated on the Glenelg Highway 166 kilometres west of Melbourne and 52 kilometres south west of the regional centre, Ballarat. Part of Corangamite Shire Local government area, Skipton is on the banks of Mount Emu Creek and has a population of about 500. There is a strong local community that are involved in a wide range of activities.

Skipton is named after Skipton, in Yorkshire, England and is known as "the home of the platypus".

Skipton was first established in 1839 as a pastoral run and a town site was surveyed in 1852. The town was settled some years later and the Post Office opened on 6 March 1858. The town held the first agricultural show in the Western District in 1859.

Fine wool is the main agricultural product of the Skipton area. A rail trail allows cyclists to ride between Skipton and Ballarat.

Skipton Variety Market is held on every second Saturday of the month at the Mechanics Hall.

Skipton Rose Festival is held on the first Saturday after the running of the Melbourne Cup in November each year.

More information

For more information on Skipton, visit:

Map